Sunday 26 February 2012

UK Titles That People Should Read

Hey,

I wanted to share with you some awesome UK titles that people around the world should really pay more attention to. Personally, I don't think that people realise how great UK authors are! COME ON! J.K ROWLING WAS BORN HERE?! Yes, I know, US titles have lovely covers and the plot is brilliant, etc, but you should REALLY give UK titles a go.

Hollow Pike by James Dawson

Something wicked this way comes... She thought she'd be safe in the country, but you can't escape your own nightmares, and Lis London dreams repeatedly that someone is trying to kill her. Lis thinks she's being paranoid - after all who would want to murder her? She doesn't believe in the local legends of witchcraft. She doesn't believe that anything bad will really happen to her. You never do, do you? Not until you're alone in the woods, after dark - and a twig snaps... Hollow Pike - where witchcraft never sleeps.

Look at the cover! I've got this one reserved at the library and CAN NOT WAIT to pick it up! EEEEK! I've read some pretty good reviews on Hollow Pike, which is extremely promising! It was released on the 2nd of February! So, go to your bookshop and buy it!


A Witch in Winter (Winter Trioligy #1) by Ruth Warburton

Anna Winterson doesn't know she's a witch and would probably mock you for believing in magic, but after moving to the small town of Winter with her father, she learns more than she ever wanted to about power. When Anna meets Seth, she is smitten, but when she enchants him to love her, she unwittingly amplifies a deadly conflict between two witch clans and splits her own heart in two. She wants to love Seth, to let him love her – but if it is her magic that's controlling his passion, then she is as monstrous as the witch clan who are trying to use her amazing powers for their own gain.
 Another witch story! I've read and loved this! This is Ruth's debut novel and it is fun and exciting! Oh, and a REALLY hot boy! ;) Go read it! You can check out my review of A Witch in Winter by clicking REVIEWS at the top of the page.


Before I Die by Jenny Downham

Tessa has just months to live. Fighting back against hospital visits, endless tests, drugs with excruciating side-effects, Tessa compiles a list. It’s her To Do Before I Die list. And number one is Sex. Released from the constraints of ‘normal’ life, Tessa tastes new experiences to make her feel alive while her failing body struggles to keep up. Tessa’s feelings, her relationships with her father and brother, her estranged mother, her best friend, and her new boyfriend, all are painfully crystallised in the precious weeks before Tessa’s time finally runs out.

Wow. This is truly an amazing book. This book was published in 2007 so I'm sure it's in LOTS of shops. This book made me cry and laugh and smile. It's heart-breaking, Tessa's situation is terrifying and I didn't know what to expect when I first opened it up. This was my first I'm-going-to-die book and yeah, it was pretty awesome. I didn't know Jenny Downham was a UK author until yesterday! This book is being adapted into a film called Now is Good, staring Dakota Fanning as Tessa! I was surprised, I thought the film producers were only going to use UK actors, but I'm sure Dakota will do a good job. Now is Good is slated for May 2012, make sure you watch it!

These are only a few of the awesome UK titles you should read. Try them out! I promise you won't regret it.

Thanks for checking these out,
Sam :)

5 comments:

  1. Hollow Pike and A Witch in Winter are both on my TBR list! So I will definitely be checking out these two titles. And James Dawson is fun to talk with on Twitter. :)

    Agnieszka @ Nook of Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to read Before I Die for like years now. I just can't get passed the first few chapters. But I do like to finish it. Thank you for the great recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved A Witch in Winter, but I haven't read the other two...

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Witch in Winter sounds so good. I love the cover too. Definitely have to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever seen Hollow Pike but I will definitely be adding it to my list! And the cover is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete