Tuesday 10 April 2012

My review of Twenty Boy Summer

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler 
Release Date: June 1st, 2009
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository

Twenty Boy Summer"Don’t worry, Anna. I’ll tell her, okay? Just let me think about the best way to do it."
"Okay."
"Promise me? Promise you won’t say anything?"
"Don’t worry.” I laughed. “It’s our secret, right?"
 

According to Anna’s best friend, Frankie, twenty days in Zanzibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy every day, there’s a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there’s something she hasn’t told Frankie–she’s already had her romance, and it was with Frankie’s older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago. 


Twenty Boy Summer is a heart breaking book that will show you what it's really like to love and lose someone. An emotional book that you won't forget. Sarah Ockler has written a hard-hitting book that will make you realise that nothing lasts forever.

Anna has been in love with her best friend's brother, Matt, since she was six. And on Anna's birthday, when Matt finally kisses her, she thinks life couldn't get any better. Anna and Matt keep their relationship hidden because they know that if they tell Frankie, Anna's best friend and Matt's sister, nothing will be the same. Until the accident happens. A tragic car crash that ended Matt's life. Leaving Anna and Frankie in tatters. Anna swore to Matt that she wouldn't tell Frankie about their relationship. But when Frankie invites her on a holiday to Zanzibar Bay, Anna can't resist. And soon new relationships are made and secrets are uncovered.

Twenty Boy Summer is a book that I couldn't put down or stop looking at for more that five seconds. The characters are both unique and exciting. As for the plot, I loved it. I loved Anna's adventure in Zanzibar Bay and the strength it took for her to get over Matt's death and begin to love another. Anna is a strong character who I truly admire. Not many people can get over a death of a loved one, so for Anna to attempt to put such a horrific accident behind her was amazing. 

Sarah Ockler will take you on an incredible journey, full of emotion and romance. You will cry, you will laugh, you will smile and you will grieve, but the pure enjoyment that this book will give you is unexplainable. 

Overall, Twenty Boy Summer is a great contemporary novel that young-adult lovers will devour!

Rating

13 comments:

  1. What a great review. I hadn't heard about this book before, and I think I would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to reread this one. I read it at a time when I had a lot going on personally and from the title I thought it would be a 'fluff' read that would cheer me up and it ended up making me so sad - I was reading it with tears down my face most of the time. I kind of want to read it while I feel normal, you know? See if it has the same emotional resonance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds like a tear-jerker, but these characters sound awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. really interesting. want to read it. thx for the review

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, thanks! I've always had a bit of a weakness for teenage romances ;)

    -Abbey
    http://teacupsandbooks.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds absolutely amazing; an emotionally fraught book that combines heart-break, romance and new beginnings. I agree with TG; from the title it sounds like it would be one of those fluffy romantic comedies, but this seems to be more like one of those tear-jerkers that draw you in and make you feel every emotion the character feels deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like the kind of book that is sad and very moving. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED this book. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this last year and it was really heartbreaking! I sometimes shy away from overly emotional books, but I also felt that this one handled the situation very well and engaged you throughout the whole book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book has been in my TBR list since last year. I've been meaning to read it but always put it off because of the sad ending (my friend who recommend it told me).

    Btw, nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. +JMJ+

    I admit that the title put me off the first time I read it, but now that I know more about the story, I think it's perfect--because she is hiding behind the twenty boys she meets so that nobody learns about the one boy she misses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sounds like such a good book. Since The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson, I have really been getting into contemporary fiction. This sounds like another great one to add to my Read and Loved shelf. Thanks so much for the great review!

    ReplyDelete