Thursday 18 October 2012

My review of Embrace

Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapter #1) by Jessica Shirvington
Release Date: October 6, 20122
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository
Embrace
It starts with a whisper: "It's time for you to know who you are..."

On her 17th birthday, everything will change for Violet Eden. The boy she loves will betray her. Her enemy will save her. She will have to decide just how much she's willing to sacrifice. 


A centuries old war between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity chooses a new fighter. It's a battle Violet doesn't want, but she lives her life by two rules: don't run and don't quit. If angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden. 

LINCOLN: He's been Violet's one anchor, her running partner and kickboxing trainer. Only he never told her he's Grigori--part human, part angel--and that he was training her for an ancient battle between Angels and Exiles. 
PHOENIX: No one knows where his loyalties lie, yet he's the only one there to pick up the pieces and protect her after Lincoln's lies. In a world of dark and light, he is all shades of gray. 


Two sides: Angel or Exile.
Two guys: Lincoln or Phoenix.
The wrong choice could cost not only her life, but her eternity... 


Embrace was not the take on angels that I was expecting! It had action and mysteries that kept me interested, but it did have a love triangle that wasn't impressive or fun to read about. Though there was a whole lot of excitement and I can't wait to read the sequel.

Violet's life has been blissfully normal until her 17th birthday; she hung out with her running and kickboxing trainer, Lincoln, who she is very close to, and had time for her friends. But since the day she found out who she really is and what she is destined to become, Violet can not trust anyone. Not even Pheonix, a boy who's started following her around and carries a big secret that could help Violet make her decisiom: Become an angel? Or join the exiles...

Embrace had a set of strong and confident main characters that I enjoyed to read about. However, I wasn't keen on the love triangle in this book. Yes, guys! There is a love triangle! I felt that the love triangle got in the way of the main plot at times and all I wanted to do was kill both Lincoln and Pheonix. Strangle them, beat them over the head with a stick, whatever; I wanted them gone and out of the way so Violet could concentrate on the problems in front of her. That reminds me, Violet was extremely annoying at times. It felt like she couldn't make her own decisions or follow a plan? It's like she couldn't see what was staring her right in the face.

I'm looking forward to reading the sequel, Entice, to see how the characters develop and to see what Jessica Shirvington delivers next! And damn, I adore the US covers for this series, not too keen on the UK ones because they look really boring.
Rating
- A copy was provided by the publisher. Thank you Hachette Children's Books!

8 comments:

  1. Sometimes I hate love triangles. The girl never (well, rarely) picks the guy I like. All the same, this book sounds like it would be worth the trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds facinating, and i love the genre so it is definately going to be added to a list of books to read. It is a shame about the cover (as i am in the UK), and so probably will find the less striking copy in my local bookshop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaargh not another love triangle!! o.O Other than that the book sound good though, I love books that have strong characters. :)Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to read this series and I recently got the first two books but I have been hearing about the love triangle in this book and have been hesitant to start. Though I do love strong female leads so I hope to start it after I finish Cinder. Thanks for the honest review and I agree the US covers are very pretty!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I like a character that I have a love/hate relationship with..it just means the author has reached me..when the characters invokes feelings in me..good or bad. I love angel mythological so this one is going on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mehhh love triangles -.- might give this book a try

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't expecting to like this book but I ended up loving it. My only issue was Phoenix. So many people love him, but to me he is abusive and he takes advantage of her. In my opinion, he took away her free will, her right to make her own decision, and then slept with her. That is flipped up. Other than that major complaint though, I love it. Can't wait for Entice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Added to my TBR. Sounds pretty good, and I'm always willing to try an Aussie-born book. :)

    ReplyDelete