Friday 8 February 2013

My review of Hidden

Hidden (Guardians of Time #1) by Marianne Curley
Release Date: March 14, 2013
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository

Hidden (Avena, #1)For as long as Ebony can remember, she's been sheltered. Confined to her home in a secluded valley, home-schooled by her protective parents, and limited to a small circle of close friends. It's as if she's being hidden. But something is changing in Ebony. Something that can't be concealed. She's growing more beautiful by the day, she's freakishly strong, and then there's the fact that she's "glowing." On one fateful night, Ebony meets Jordan and she's intensely drawn to him. It's as if something explodes inside of her--something that can be seen from the heavens. Ebony still doesn't know that she's a stolen angel, but now that the heavens have found her, they want her back.

Hidden is the first book in the intriguing new paranormal series Avena. If you like YA paranormal romance, especially about angels, then I think you will be interested in seeing what Marianne Curley has got planned for you in Hidden.

The book is about a girl named Ebony who has been over protected ever since she was young. She lives in a house in a quiet valley and has always been home-schooled due to her parents' protective attitude towards her. She notices that there is some kind of change going on in her body. She demonstrates strength and powers that a normal person should definitely not have. When she meets Jordan at a party and is hopelessly drawn to him, she knows that he is hiding something. Something about her. What Ebony doesn't know is that she's a stolen angel and heaven wants her back.

Hidden was an interesting read, though I feel like it wasn't as good as some other books in this genre. There is a lot of competition in the 'angel' category, and I think that Hidden falls behind others like Unearthly, Hush, Hush, Angelfire and Wicked Kiss. It's not one of the best out there but it is worth a read if you have time because it is well written, the characters are fascinating, and when the plot kicks it: BOOM! It's exciting, fast paced and hard to put down.

There are some really good action scenes in Hidden that made me sit on the edge of my seat. As for the romance, I found it really interesting, but it was one of those 'instant paranormal connection' type of love. There was some weird connection between Ebony and Jordan, but then there was another connection with some other angel guy. It's all explained by the end and it will leave you wondering of what is to come next for this strange love triangle. 


I would recommend Hidden to all those YA paranormal angel lovers out there who simply want another another book to devour in their free time. 
Rating
- A review copy was provided by Bloomsbury Publishing

4 comments:

  1. This is the first review I've read on this one, so its great to know what to expect. I was wavering on whether or not to read this one, but I think I might take a chance on it. Thanks!

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been going back and forth deciding if I need to make this book a priority. Thanks for the review. Now I know where to place it in my TBR pecking order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, this looks and sounds like a book with my name on it =) Adding it right now to my tbr list. Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a good story, a little different from the normal angel stories. But it doesn't seem like the best one out there. I think that I will take a look at your review of the second book (if there is one yet) before I make the decision on whether to check this one out or not. Thanks for the review.
    I REALLY like this cover a whole bunch. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete