Monday 13 May 2013

My review of Storm

Storm (The Elementals #1) by Brigid Kemmerer
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository


Storm (Elemental, #1)
Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.

The storm is coming.

Storm is the first thrilling book in the exciting and gripping series The Elementals. Four hot brothers with incredible powers, what's not to love? They each have their own story to tell, and this novel just happens to be about the youngest brother, Chris. With this raging storm comes action, mysteries and an irresistible romance. 

Becca never wanted any attention. Especially not from Chris Merrick. A boy who's always getting into trouble and causing arguments. But for some reason, she ends up saving him from getting beaten up in the school parking lot, and from there on her life is no longer simple or ordinary. Chris can control water, just like his brothers can control earth, fire and wind. They are incredibly powerful; but also marked for death. Becca doesn't know what she's gotten herself into, so when Hunter joins the school things just seem to complicate even more. Both him and Chris are hiding things from her, so who can she trust?

In this book, we meet Chris, the youngest of four brothers. Michael is the oldest and can control the earth. Gabriel and Nick are twins; Gabriel can control fire and Nick can control wind. Their parents died a few years back and Michael has been assigned as guardian. We get to know each character throughout the book and by the end you will at least have fallen for one of them.

Chris and Becca have a very interesting and entertaining relationship to read about. The two don't exactly see eye-to-eye at first, but as the book progresses we see a clear change in heart. Though the romance is turned up a notch when Hunter, the mysterious new boy who seems to have a habit of turning up in the right place at the wrong time, is added into the complex equation. 

On top of the "Chris + Becca + Hunter = Error #4382" situation, did I mention that there are people who want the Merrick brothers dead? Mmmhmmm. I know what you're thinking, "WHY WOULD PEOPLE WANT TO KILL THESE HOT GUYS WITH MAGICAL POWERS?!?!" Well, my dear friend, the answers are all in the book. It's a complicated dilemma, with waay too many people keeping secrets and betraying the main characters.

I've read plenty of books Avatar-style books (controlling the elements), but none of them have stood out or been as good as this! I can't think of anything that I did not enjoy about this book. I adored the characters, Brigid's writing style, the action, and the romance (obviously). Once I picked the book up I could not force myself to put it down. It was just. too. Good. And no, I wasn't simply drawn in because of the hot guy on the cover...
image
*Ahem* But in all seriousness, Storm is a captivating and compelling read that will leave you wanting a whole lot more. I loved every second and I already know that the sequel Spark, which is Gabriel's story, is going to be another hit. Brigid Kemmerer is going to be taking the YA charts by storm with the rest of this series.
Rating

7 comments:

  1. Well, your review has officially made the decision for me. I have literally picked this book up at the library several times but for some reason I haven't brought it home. Next time, Storm is mine, all mine! I love the controlling of the elements by FOUR hot guys thing especially! :) My question to you: Was the triangle well written or was it a frustrating one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I thought it was written pretty well! Of course there were some "GAAAH" moments, but overall it was awesome!! :D

      Delete
  2. I told to my friend this was too good to be true, and went so that it will
    the store me personally. It's is very heartbreaking when your kid suffers from dyslexia.

    Feel free to surf to my website imprezy integracyjne

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds awesome!!

    Love element-type books and if her characters are also deep and real, that's perfect with the plot:)

    Lovely review and gifs:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review!! I love Storm too. I would have water power if I could choose an element! Why do they want to kill those HOT BOYS!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems like everyone is in love with this series! I own this book, but keep pushing it aside. The hype has me nervous! I'll definitely read it one day though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think i must start to read this series, for i see this series have great response. Hope soon :)

    ReplyDelete