Monday 12 August 2013

My review of Crown of Midnight

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas
Release Date: August 15, 2013
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository


Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)Eighteen-year-old Celaena Sardothien is bold, daring and beautiful – the perfect seductress and the greatest assassin her world has ever known. But though she won the King’s contest and became his champion, Celaena has been granted neither her liberty nor the freedom to follow her heart. The slavery of the suffocating salt mines of Endovier that scarred her past is nothing compared to a life bound to her darkest enemy, a king whose rule is so dark and evil it is near impossible to defy. Celaena faces a choice that is tearing her heart to pieces: kill in cold blood for a man she hates, or risk sentencing those she loves to death. Celaena must decide what she will fight for: survival, love or the future of a kingdom. Because an assassin cannot have it all . . . And trying to may just destroy her.

Crown of Midnight is the sequel to the unforgettable and deadly Throne of Glass. Just like the previous book, Crown of Midnight is just as exciting and dangerous! Maybe even more so! Get ready for fiction's most fierce heroine. 

After winning the title of the King's champion, Celaena has now been handed the burden of assassinating the King's enemies in order to earn her freedom. But life in the castle is not all it's cracked up to be, especially when deadly secrets keep unravelling before her eyes. Celaena is torn; doing what she is ordered to do in order to keep those she loves from harm, even if she doesn't agree with what she has to do. 

I cannot even put into words how much I enjoyed this book! The action and the mysteries and.. the romance!! I simply could not get enough of everything that was on the pages. Especially Celaena. I adore her so, so, so much. She is badass. She can be cold and have a heart of steel when it comes to her job, but when it comes to those that she loves, she almost turns into a completely different person! But of course, keeping the sarcastic tone that suits her well.

With everything going on with the King and the rebels, I couldn't help my attention wandering to: who is the best man for Celaena? Now, there is the King's son, Dorian, and then there is Dorian's best friend and captain of the guards, Chaol. I was genuinely torn between the two. Dorian was my favourite, and then Chaol was my favourite, and then Dorian, and then Chaol, and so it goes on. After the ending, I am STILL not sure. They are two amazing, amazing guys, who have both made mistakes but I love them both and... I neeeed the next book!!
One thing I must praise Maas for is the way she writes action scenes. They are detailed and accurate, and it's perfect for when you are imagining it going on in your head. It's like she's had personal experience... maybe she has! ;)

Crown of Midnight is one of the best YA fantasies this year and you should not miss it if you've read Throne of Glass. If you haven't then.................. GO AND DO IT NOW!?!??!?!
Rating
A review copy was provided by Bloomsbury

3 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot about these books, unfortunately I haven't got my hands on them yet...

    Hope I'll read them soon, they sound just like my kind of books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I loved the first book and can't wait for this one. Celaena is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it. It’s one of my favorite reads of the year!! I’m off to review book 3, since I finished it in record time and them complete book 4. I’m a goner for this series!

    ReplyDelete