Monday 23 December 2013

My review of Shatter Me

Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) by Tahereh Mafi
Release Date: October 2, 2012
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.

Shatter Me is a unique and kickass novel told in a refreshing way that grips the reader from the beginning as we follow the thoughts of Juliette: a girl with a touch to kill. She sees it as a curse, but others see it as a power which must be put to good use. As the world is slowly falling apart, a group has to take charge and turn everything around. However, what the Reestablishment has to offer may not be what the people need.

I knew that Shatter Me would be top quality as I have read many reviews that do not stop raving about it. Mafi has a very unique and distinct writing style that I was unsure of at first but quickly grew to love it.

Not to mention the characters! I loved and adored Juliette for her strong personality and I loved her even more we find out about her past; which was certainly rough. Juliette is a likable heroine who is definitely winning in my heart as she has not easily fallen into the trap of a love triangle *ahem* Bella Swan *ahem*


Adam. Gah, I really loved his character. It was impossible not to love him! He is considerate and caring and a guy that I would definitely want in my life. For some reason, it feels like I repeat myself a lot. Whenever I talk about the love interest in a YA it always seems like I'm saying the same things "hot", "strong", "perfect", "protective", etc. I loved Adam to bits and one thing that sticks out about him for me is his protectiveness over his brother. It's simply admirable and heart-warming.



One of my favourite characters has to be Kenji who adds humor to the story. I cannot wait to see more of him in the sequel, which I've heard is a mind-blowing sequel so I'm definitely on edge fo' that.

You know what I'm really surprised at? I don't mind love triangles if they're written well, and I certainly don't mind "Teams". However... I NEVER FREAKIN' EXPECTED THAT THERE WOULD EVEN BE A TEAM WARNER?! COME ON HE'S A PSYCHOPATH, GUYS! Warner is a crazy-ass guy obsessed with a girl who hates his guts. He is just... so crazy. But what I've heard is that he gets better in the sequel. 
....................................................... Yeah. Sure. He's suddenly going to stop being psychopath, is he? Hmm? HMMMM? 
I really loved the world that Mafi created: dangerous, abandoned, cruel, unfair and controlled. She shows the world distant in the future after mankind has ruined and abused everything good. It was kickass... I'm interested all that futuristic shizz.. WE ARE RUINING OUR PLANET. Anyways, the topic of humans abusing the planet should be saved for another day.

I will definitely be picking up Unravel Me. How can I not after hearing that it's ten times better than Shatter Me? I expect more supernatural powers, more action, more mystery and more romance. No doubt I'll get more, but for now I will be marvelling at this gorgeous cover!

I would recommend Shatter Me to any dystopian world lover who also love a few supernatural, action and romance elements. 
Rating

1 comment:

  1. I love Shatter Me. The writing style was different and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved Juliette and Adam and Adam's brother and Kenji. Warner is a fantastic psychopath. Like you though, I don't see how people could be Team Warner. I haven't read Unravel Me yet, but even if he shows some signs of humanity and a conscience, he will still be a crazy person. Anyway, thank you so much for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed this one as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete