Monday 2 December 2013

My review of This is What Happy Looks Like

This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith
Release Date: April 4, 2013
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository


This Is What Happy Looks LikeIf fate sent you an email, would you answer?

Graham Larkin and Ellie O'Neill meet—albeit virtually—when Graham accidentally sends Ellie an email about his pet pig, Wilbur. In the tradition of romantic movies like "You've Got Mail" and "Sleepless in Seattle," the two 17-year-olds strike up an email relationship, even though they live on opposite sides of the country and don't even know each other's first names.

Through a series of funny and poignant messages, Graham and Ellie make a true connection, sharing intimate details about their lives, hopes and fears. But they don't tell each other everything; Graham doesn't know the major secret hidden in Ellie's family tree, and Ellie is innocently unaware that Graham is actually a world-famous teen actor living in Los Angeles.


When the location for the shoot of Graham's new film falls through, he sees an opportunity to take their relationship from online to in-person, managing to get the production relocated to picturesque Henley, Maine, where Ellie lives. But can a star as famous as Graham have a real relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie's mom want her to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?

This is What Happy Looks Like is a light and fluffy YA contemporary romance that is ready to sweep many off their feet. The unique plot and entertaining characters make this book intriguing and definitely worth a read if you're looking for a light-hearted contemporary read.

I loved the idea that a girl and a boy meet by an accidental email and he turns out to be a famous teen actor... It's just such a good idea. There's next to no chance that would ever happen, but this book makes it seem possible!

Graham is a famous movie star who jumps at the chance to go to the hometown of the girl he's been talking by email to shoot a movie. While Ellie is a quiet girl who's mother wants her to stay out of the spotlight at all costs. However the two end up falling for each other anyway but they have no idea what obstacles await them.

I enjoyed the well-thought out plot and the twists and surprises the author throws at us! The elements of celebrities also made it a lot more interesting. It was hard not to love Graham and Ellie, who are just two teenagers wanting a normal relationship. 
image
After falling hard for The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, I knew that I had to read more from Smith. It had everything I was looking for: a cute summer romance, a heart-warming plot and down-to-earth characters. I can't wait to see what unique story Jennifer Smith will think up next.
Rating

7 comments:

  1. LOVED this one!! The characters were real and I love how helpful he was when she wanted to find her father.

    Lovely review:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard so much about this book but was very reluctant because I'm not a huge fan of contemporary romance. Looks good thought and loved your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. It won me over even though I was hesitant. I immediately knew I would read this one when I heard about it, but I haven't had the chance yet. I need to find some time to read it, soon. There are times when stories like this are perfect, and now is one of those times for a lighthearted and lovable read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review hun! Glad that it worked for you but it fell flat for me because I'm not really a big fan of actors / celebrities in books which is quiet ridiculous :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book was really great. I couldn't stop reading it! The storyline/plot was so cute and attracting. Jennifer E. Smith hits a home run with this book in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually love anything written by Ms. Smith. This was a delightful story and, after reading her early release of the first few chapters, I was really looking forward to it. It was sweet and funny, and the characters were definitely relatable. Since it ended rather quickly, I would actually love to read a sequel to their story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I would love to know what happens next. Maybe an epilogue would be nice. All her books are so sweet and heart warming; I completely agree <3

      Delete