Monday 9 December 2013

My review of Unbreakable

Unbreakable (The Legion #1) by Kami Garcia
Release Date: October 10, 2013
Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository

Unbreakable (Legion, #1)Kennedy Waters didn't believe in ghosts, until one tried to kill her.

When Kennedy finds her mother dead, her world begins to unravel. She doesn't know that evil forces in a much darker world are the ones pulling the strings. Not until identical twins Jared and Lukas Lockhart break into her house and destroy a dangerous spirit sent to kill her. The brothers reveal that her mother was part of an ancient secret society responsible for protecting the world from a vengeful demon - a society whose five members were all murdered on the same night.


Now Kennedy has to take her mother's place in the Legion if she wants to uncover the truth and stay alive. Along with new Legion members Priest and Alara, the teens race to find the only weapon that might be able to destroy the demon - battling the deadly spirits he controls every step of the way.

Unbreakable is basically an awesome ghost buster book! It has some pretty kick-ass characters and plenty of haunting scenes. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would! I hated - ABSOLUTELY HATED - Beautiful Creatures, but Unbreakable offered a gripping story line and lovable characters. I haven't read many ghost books since the Hereafter trilogy by Tara Hudson and I forgot how much I actually love them. Unlike Hereafter, Unbreakable definitely scared me at times!

Everything changes when Kennedy discovers her mother is dead. Soon after two boys - twins - Jared and Lukas chuck heaps of information onto her that it was a spirit who committed the crime, but also that her mother was part of a secret society that rid of demons. Now Kennedy must take on what her mother committed herself too; joining Jared and Lukas, but also another two who won't just become her friends, they will also teach her how to fight the spirits.

I liked the idea of the love triangle. The whole two brothers fighting over one girl thing. Sadly, it felt a little to cliche for me as our protagonist just happens to fall for the more dark and mysterious brother, rather than the funny, cute and more likable one. There was no twist apart from a deep, dark secret between the two brothers that have caused them to separate. Apart from that, there wasn't much that stood out.

Yeah... I was looking for something more unique in the love-triangle department. 


However, I did love the characters! Jared (the dark and mysterious brother) and Lukas (the funny, cute and likable brother), despite their contrast in personalities, remained kick-ass and strong male leads. While our protagonist Kennedy was fairly interesting with a lot more to give, I think!

This is not the best out there or the most unique or the most exciting or the most romantic, but it will keep you entertained and the characters are brilliant.

Unbreakable is a great ghost read; it's not too long and not too short with just enough twists to keep you happy. Definitely check this out if you love to be spooked! Kami Garcia's haunting descriptions won't disappoint. I will be reading the sequel Unbound!
Rating

7 comments:

  1. I have a copy of this one, but I just don't know if it is for me. I haven't really heard much about it. I guess I should look at goodreads and see some more reviews.

    Jennifer
    YA Sisterhood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check out some more reviews! It wasn't mindblowing or anything so I think it'll be okay to give this one a miss.

      Delete
  2. It was a unique concept, with the legends, too bad you didn't love it.

    Lovely review:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you like it. I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read anything by Kami Garcia yet and I've been hearing such wonderful things about this book. Anyway, my favorite thing in books is awesome characters, so I think I'll give this a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thoroughly looking forward to a seriously creepy story, and while there were a few creepy scenes, they weren't frequent or creepy enough. Nevertheless, I really enjoyed this book. I read it in no time flat. I loved the characters so much. They absolutely made this story. I can't wait for the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I felt the same way--the idea had tons of potential, but it all felt pretty formulaic and cliche to me in its execution. I was disappointed because I had such high hopes for this!

    ReplyDelete