Monday 3 February 2014

My review of Shadow of the Mark

Shadow of the Mark (Carrier #2) by Leigh Fallon
Release Date:
July 9, 2013

Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon | The Book Depository

Shadow of the Mark (Carrier, #2)Their love could destroy them all.

Through the ages, Marked Ones have harnessed the powers of the four elements: Water, Fire, Earth, and Air. Much about the elements is shrouded in mystery, but one thing is certain: A relationship between two Marked Ones has the potential to cause widespread devastation.

Megan and Adam—Air and Water—are determined to defy the risks.


But the power that swirls inside Megan is growing in twisted ways. And the closer she is to Adam, the closer Megan comes to unleashing a dark force that could spell destruction for the entire Marked line.

Shadow of the Mark is the sequel to Carrier of the Mark which focuses on elemental powers, old enemies and forbidden love. There are people called "Marked Ones" who have the power of one of the four elements. A relationship between two Marked Ones are strictly forbidden but not even the rules can stop the feelings that Megan and Adam have for each other. However Megan is having problems with her element and she can feel the dark side of her element slowly taking over.

I honestly wasn't a fan of the first book as it seemed to follow the same plot line of Twilight, which I have had enough of, thank you very much. I liked the element idea, but it fell short for me. However, Fallon picks the story up a bit here and attempts to add some of her own unique twists, which makes it a lot more enjoyable, thus explaining why my rating for the book is seemingly average.
image
I wouldn't rave about this series to anyone and nor would I trash it. The books are okay and contains a pretty intriguing plot with mildly interesting characters. The elements play a kickass role in the story and enhance the fantasy/supernatural feel.

I liked the romance. At times. Mostly. I'm not sure yet. Adam and Megan have a roller coaster relationship and it is mainly down to the rules that they have to follow and their inner elemental powers. Especially in this sequel, when Megan's element begins to develop and become dangerous; it makes it harder for her to be around any Marked ones, especially Adam.

I will be reading Age of the Fifth, the final book in the trilogy. The story and characters are enough to keep me interested, but I realise that some will obviously not like this for its weak narrator.
Rating

No comments:

Post a Comment